Monday, November 2, 2009

So, let us begin...


Okay, so I am new to this blog thing. However, I figured that this would be a good way to keep myself focused and accountable for losing all the weight I have recently gained.
I have always somewhat stuggled with my weight. I grew up thin until puberty hit. Then I fluffed out a little, but through sports I maintained a healthy weight. In high school I leaned up some more, although I still thought I was too heavy. At the end my of basketball season my senior year, I snapped my ACL and proceeded to gain 30-40 lbs in the following four months...right before prom. Nice, right??? Anyway, the following summer and freshman year of college lead to a further increase in weight, even though I was playing basketball and running a little. That freshman year I did learn more about running through a class called health dynamics, and learned that I could run 3-4 miles quite easily (which I didn't think I could do before). After that year, I lost about 10 pounds, but I still struggling. Well, I lost a little more, but was plateauing a bit. I graduated from college and just kept myself active, although I have a love/hate relationship with food. I love it and it loves me so much it wants to stay with me forever, thus leading to my hatred of it...lol
In 2004, when I was 24, I went on Weight Watchers and lost weight. I got down to 179 pounds, which given my 5'11" fairly muscular build was perfect, and what I was at my senior year of high school (before the knee surgery). Then, in the beginning of 2005, I decided to train for and run the Chicago Marathon later that year. I trained for the marathon and completed it in a time of 4 hours, 43 minutes, and 22 seconds. I still consider this my greatest achievement, even above getting two degrees from college. Anyway, all the while I was training I didn't lose any more weight, but it wasn't about that. I firmed up and was in great shape. I look back at pictures around that time and am a little sad I lost that. Oh well.
After the marathon, it was winter, and I gained about 10 more pounds...then I gained 10 more. I hovered around 200 for awhile, then I moved to teach in AZ. You know, it costs money to eat healthy. I was a struggling teacher on a VERY limited income, so I ate poorly a lot. I am a vegetarian, so there was a lot of Mac & Cheese, and goodies in the form of carbs that teaches would bring in that I would load up on. Needless to say, I gained another 25 pounds. Now, here I am, at my heaviest EVER, and quite unhappy.
Now all of this is not about vanity. I little maybe, considering that I am going to get married next July 17th, but it is also about health. I know that my joints hurt more now that I am heavier, that I don't feel as good in my body, and I am just not feeling healthy. I am under no delusion that I will ever be a stick girl, nor do I want to be. I want to be strong and healthy. This works with my genetics, and it is what I want. I will officially put down a beginning weight in a couple days, and I will follow weight watchers on my own b/c they are the only thing that seems to work well for me. I don't like buying other "special" foods b/c I need a lifestyle that I can continue:)
Okay, well, this is the preliminary info...more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment